This forum is (mostly) public and you are welcome to browse around. Participation is limited to members of BCR. If you don't already have an account, please click 'register' below. It shouldn't take long to approve your request.

Matt's Bob Graham Attempt

edited July 2017 in Everything else

Not another Bob Graham attempt I hear you groan. Yes, I am afraid so. The prospect of meeting Joss Naylor on route like Rob did is incentive enough to have a crack at it. Unfortunately for my pacers, this means that I will be asking them to carry a pen and my 28 x 22 x 2.6 cm hard backed Joss Naylor book to make sure the book signing opportunity is not missed. Given that Joss is getting on now (and lets face it, his heart has had a tough life), I think it is best to attempt it sooner rather than later, so, anyone up for supporting me on the weekend of the 28th / 29th July (keeping the 30th reserved for a better weather option)? Usual gig, set off on a clockwise 23 hour schedule etc.




  • It is looking like the 28th / 29th July is inconvenient for the majority so I have decided to move my Bob Graham event (none of this negative 'attempt' talk anymore) to the 25th / 26th August (possibly having the 27th as a bad weather reserve day). Depending on how fit I feel after the next bunch of weeks, I may try and go for a 'as fast as I can round' rather than simply aim to complete it in 23:59:59. Now 'as fast as I can' may well be 23:59 (or worse) but as I don't really want to do the round twice and I would regret it if I didn't completely bury myself, I think it is worth a go. The possible strategy is to go at a 22:30 pace for the first three legs then if I am feeling perky at Wasdale, start to increasingly thrash it out to the point that I am buried as my hand touches Moot Hall - not before! this maybe sounds a bit dramatic but the reality is that it will be walking and pootling all the way round. If my confidence is wavers, I will revert to a 23 hour round. So, anybody want to come along?

    Naturally, covering unnecessary ground will stuff matters so I would especially appreciate the support or all the experienced navigators who know the best lines.



  • Bob cancelled! I have developed a grim pain in my knee which I can only imagine getting worse on a Bob. I am not in the business of messing you all around and having a go with a risk of failure so it is cancelled. In all likelihood it will be next year now if I do it. Cheers for all the offers to help, would have been a cracking team.

Sign In or Register to comment.