Welcome!

This forum is (mostly) public and you are welcome to browse around. Participation is limited to members of BCR. If you don't already have an account, please click 'register' below. It shouldn't take long to approve your request.

Winter League 2016

Season's greetings to all Black Combe Runners!

Rather unwittingly I have agreed to coordinate the 2016 Winter League.

Please find, documented below, my initial proposal for the six fixtures, along with suggested dates and potential organisers.

Match 1
Date: Friday 1st January 2016
Organiser: Dave Parminter

Match 2
Date: Sunday 17th January 2016
Organiser: Pete Tayler

Match 3
Date: Saturday 30th January 2016
Organiser: Will Ross

Match 4
Date: Saturday 13th February 2016
Organiser: Rob McKeever

Match 5
Date: Sunday 21st February 2016
Organiser: Matthew Allen

Match 6
Date: Saturday 27th February 2016
Organiser: Tim Ripper

Hopefully, the fixtures meet with everyone's approval. Any feedback is most welcome. I am happy to juggle dates if there are known clashes with other outdoor pursuits or races.

See you soon,

Matthew.

Comments

• Can we have start times please? Particularly for PO HOUSE, cheers

• It's likely all the start times will be 10:30 based on previous years, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.:smile:

• I think Tim is away on the 27th Feb.\
    :confused:

• Also, do we still need to have a mixture of Saturdays and Sundays, as
    its a bit confusing. I think it was changed to that as Penny worked
    Sunday mornings, but she doesn't run with us anymore. I don't think
    anyone else works Sunday mornings do they?

• The controversial bit will be when you start giving the handicaps!

• Cheers for start times Karl, wont be able to make 1st race but should be good for the others, ade

• Hi Matt...at the moment we can do any of those dates except 1st Jan and 27th Feb...if you need organisers we're very happy to help, so feel free to put us down for any of the other dates if this is useful. Catch up soon! xx

• Matt you can swap me and Tim.

• Dear All,

Apologies for the radio silence, somehow 2015 has just disappeared on me!

To clear up a few questions, I am in agreement that all Winter League fixtures should start at 10:30, which then provides sufficient time earlier in the morning to mark up the relevant course.

As for the dates, I am more than happy to move all remaining events to a Sunday, although the lovers will need to give up Valentine's Day. Personally, I could not think of anything more romantic than a 'brisk stroll' along Roanhead Beach on a cold and crisp winter's morning in February!

So, the revised fixture list is as follows,

Match 1
    Date: Friday 1st January 2016
    Organiser: Dave Parminter

Match 2
    Date: Sunday 17th January 2016
    Organiser: Pete Tayler

Match 3
    Date: Sunday 31st January 2016
    Organiser: Will Ross

Match 4
    Date: Sunday 14th February 2016
    Organiser: Tim Ripper

Match 5
    Date: Sunday 21st February 2016
    Organiser: Matthew Allen

Match 6
    Date: Sunday 28th February 2016
    Organiser: Rob McKeever

For the eagle-eyed amongst you, I am hoping to introduce a new fixture over the Blawith Fells near Beacon Tarn. I believe the location to be fairly accessible from both sides of the Duddon Estuary and there is ample parking.

The meeting point for the first fixture at Po House is actually Ralliss on the A590. I shall try to get all the relevant maps posted up on the website shortly. I am in the process of finalising the handicaps before the first race tomorrow, so keep an eye out for some more updates later in the day.

On a final note, for anyone who is not familiar with the Winter League, please follow the enclosed hyperlink for more details on the general concept and scoring system. (http://bcrunners.org.uk/cal/winterleague).

Thanks again,

Matthew.

• Ey up-
    Looks good. Although helm hill winter league are all Sunday races n I was hopin to have a run out at a few of them...birkrigg date for helm hill is 31st jan also.

• Happy New Year to all Black Combe Runners,

So here is the moment you have all been waiting for, the big reveal of the handicaps for the 2016 Winter League! I hope that they provoke much discussion and controversy.

I must confess that there was a lot of guess work involved and so I will endeavour to adjust the handicap timings throughout the series.

On a final note, as promised, the website is now updated with the venues for the six fixtures.

Wishing you all a healthy and prosperous 2016,

Matthew.

• TRANSPORT REQUIRED!

Is anyone driving over to Po House from the Ulverston area?

So far 2016 has brought be an illuminated engine warning light on my car dashboard! :cry:

Please contact me on MJAllen020285@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,

Matthew.

• Thanks for my generous handicap Matt :shocked: did you
    calculate/estimate with the help of some sherry? Or was it Pete Tayler's
    influence..

• Afternoon All,

Harvey - Many thanks for the advice regarding the clash of events at Birkrigg Common with Helm Hill Runners, it definitely looks like some further juggling of the fixture list is required!

Jamie - A few Aperol Spritz as an afternoon aperitif are helping me through this wet and miserable festive season, although it is not doing anything for my fitness levels considering my efforts at Po House yesterday. So, moving onto your handicap time, the idea behind the Winter League is to get club members out training and primed for the Black Combe Fell Race. I noted just how well you were running at the various relay events towards the back end of the 2015 season and felt it important that I support your progress. By giving you an easy handicap there would be no challenge. You need to continuously push yourself to improve, so take it as a compliment that you are starting at the back of the pack chasing everyone else down. By the way, the only way to get your handicap adjusted is by actually turning up and competing!

On a final note, I am in the process of reconciling the results from Po House with Dave Parminter. I think a few folks did not start on their allotted handicap times - myself included! Look out for a further update tonight.

Thanks again,

Matthew.

• Would a mid weeker by a favourable suggestion? Either this new blawith malarkey, or birkrigg? If it doesn't suit, then no worries. I'm hoping to get along to at least one this year

• The Blawith Malarkey sounds like a great name for a race.

Jamie, questioning the handicapper's sobriety is a 1 minute penalty!

Happy New Year! :smile:

• Evening Black Combe Runners,

Please find enclosed the results from the first Winter League fixture of 2016 at Po House. Unsurprisingly, due to form, I was fashionably late! So, first and foremost, a big thank you to Dave Parminter for presiding over proceedings and John Millen for sacrificing his own start time in order to come and pick up a fellow member stricken without a car! There were a total of 16 runners on a cold and chilly New Year's Day. Congratulations, to Ian Verber for leading the charge from the front and setting a good pace that was just too strong for the rest of us to counter. You are now a marked man heading into the next race of the series! The fastest scratch time on the day was 37:16 from John Millen with Christina Wiejak not far behind in a time of 38:17. Sign that lady up now for the Hodgson Relays!

See you at a Social Run soon,

Matthew.

• Good Afternoon,

So, the Winter League now moves onto Appletree Worth, starting at 10:30 on Sunday 17th January 2016. Parking is limited, so I recommend that you car share where possible. For those new to the Winter League, make sure you dig out the off-road shoes from now on! The course is mostly track and trail, approximately 9.3 kilometres in length with about 300 metres of ascent. This should provide the boys and girls at the back of the pack, with a heavy handicap, a bit of help to start reeling in the front runners - potentially all change from Po House! If I recall correctly, the weather for last year's event was stinging hail with snow underfoot! What will 2016 bring?

Enjoy what remains of the weekend,

Matthew.

• Here's how you could juggle the fixture list to avoid a) The clash with Helm Hill's winter league race, b) Valentines Day and c) having three fixtures in consecutive weeks.

Firstly, bring Appletreeworth forward a week to next Sunday,10th.

Move Birkrigg a week forward to the 24th.

This then allows BCRs to take part in Helm Hill's WTL race on Birkrigg on the 31st....that starts and finishes, I think, close to the end of Mountbarrow Road in Ulverston, and there are junior races there to.

Bring Blawith Fells forward a fortnight to the 7th Feb.

Roanhead is no good on the 24th Jan or 7th and 21st Feb due to high tide near to, or at the time we'd be there...the 7th's is at 10:30.
    This then gives Valentine's Sunday off to avoid three consecutive Sunday's of wtl fixtures.

Bring Black Combe forward a week to the 21st.

Move Roanhead back a fortnight to the 28th and finish the series there. It also means there'd be a 20 day gap (rather than 13) between the wtl race up and down Black Combe and the 8.2 mile English champs counter fell race there on March 12th.

So, what's your verdict here on Karl's provisional planning suggestions?

• Yes, you could leave Appletreeworth on the 17th, but I'll be working that day, whereas next Sunday, if it was changed, I might be there with being off work that day.

• This coming weekend (9/10th) is quite busy for races. I know me and a couple of others have entered Cumbria XC Champs on Saturday, and Sunday is Lakeland Orienteering Club Champs on Birkrigg which will involve a few people (Rob B is organising).
    I agree we don't want to be swimming at Roanhead though!

• Can i just check something, when Rob and Tim agreed to swap, i thought
    they meant dates of their WL, not the races they would be organising, so
    at the moment Rob is organising Black Combe and Tim is organising
    Roanhead, which doesn't sound right.

And then there is the matter of my handicap - 5 minutes behind Hazel!!
    I'll need to grow bloody wings.

• wings won't do it, have you got an afterburner handy?

• Hoping to get along to a few of these. Is the schedule listed above still correct? Can I ignore all the suggested changes?

• A few changes, Pat. Matt will update soon.

• MJAllen, any handicap changes or are they staying the same?

• Evening All,

The next round of the Winter League starts from Appletree Worth at 10:30 tomorrow. For anyone unfamiliar with the start location, please follow the enclosed hyperlink for more details.

http://bcrunners.org.uk/cal/winterleague

Despite the cold and snowy conditions, I hope to see as many of you as possible. There have been minimal changes to the handicaps and so we are all still gunning for Ian Verber! Good luck to all runners and I look forward to discussing the race over brunch in The Square Cafe.

Matthew.

• edited January 2016

There isn't much going on pubwise on Birkrigg so everyone is invited
    back to ours (in Scales) after the winter league race this Sunday
    (31st). There will be tea and cake and bacon sandwiches. Also lego,
    balloons, jigsaw puzzles and lots of mess, probably.

The race starts at 10.30 so I guess it'll be 12 - 12.30 here after some
    flag-collecting. You can park opposite the village hall, then we are
    next to the falling-down house.

Anyone who wants to learn how to put stuff on the Black Combe website is
    welcome to join a quick introductory session that day.

• Far be it from me to throw a spanner in the ointment ( or a fly in the works ) but the helm hill races start at 12 and are flagged also. Could this be problematic? Personally, I'd race both, but am working sat a.m so will have to collude with the helm mob.

• edited January 2016

Hm. The calendar has ours on the Sunday but that must be wrong.
    Saturday, then. Our flags are quite distinctive and the KWL race doesn't
    go in the woods, so even if they put them out early it should be ok.