control panel show

Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Feeds

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Beth Sep 7th 2017

Hi everyone! I’ve already put a note on the BCR facebook page about this, but for the official record, here are the details of the Caw to Caw…a new route devised for Black Combe Runners!

"Caw to Caw", 29 miles, 3,150m climb

The route starts at the Wellington Bridge (Gosforth) and finishes at the Newfield Inn (Duddon Valley). It takes in the following summits: Caw fell, Haycock, Scoat Fell, Pillar, Kirk Fell, Great Gable, Esk Pike, Bow Fell, Crinkle Crags, (3 Shires Stone), Swirl How, Dow Crag, White Pike and finally Caw. (You do not need to go up Great End).

Tim and I completed the route on 26th August 2017. It took us a leisurely 12 hours (~2.4mph), which meant we got to the pub just after last food orders (noooo!). Conditions were super – sunny/cloudy and dry (apart from the boggy bit at the bottom of Caw Fell, which is always going to be wet). I’ll do a write up for the January '18 newsie, so you’ll get the full details then.

It’s a brilliant route, which I’d highly recommend…and there’s definitely scope for speedy folk to reduce the time!

Do let us know if you have a crack!
Beth

Petros Sep 13th 2017

While it’s good to devise new challenges let’s not forget the old ones that have been part of the Black Combe Runners tradition since the early days. One of these is the Stopwatch Challenge, from Haverigg to Scafell Pike and back. I have held the shield associated with it since 2013, so it’s time someone else had it. There are two options: a route mainly on roads and a route mainly on fells, and the records are within the capability of some of our present members. The fell record is held by Mike Berry with 11 hours 1 minute and the road record is held by Phil Bateson with 8 hours 22 minutes.

karl Sep 13th 2017

Well mentioned.... I did the road stoppie in July 2004, clocking 12 hrs 41m, not exactly speedy Gonzales, and that was in my running peak.
If I attempted it again now or next year, something over 15 hours would be more likely.

Beth Sep 14th 2017

The stoppie is certainly on our to do list Peter!...along with the Cumbria Traverse and various others! The John Peel trail is another one that might interest people. There are various threads already dedicated to these runs so perhaps best to search for these discussions if people want the details...
:bigsmile:

harv Sep 17th 2017

Enjoyed becoming the 3rd member of the exclusive caw2caw club today. Had a satisfying run round in superb conditions with Tim, Pip n May. 9500ft, 28/29 miles. Spoke to joss on Scoat fell, and enjoyed the ravens cronking. We did it in 7:42, and had a pint and some leek and potato soup in the Newfield at the end. Excellent route Beth, well devised!
Recommended.
Who's next?