control panel show

Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Feeds

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Will Jan 29th 2014

We get lots of race spam. Anything that is nearby or not completely pointless I will dump in here. Such as:

The Wall

this one is from THE UK’S LARGEST ULTRA MARATHON, which apparently is BACK:

Join over 1200 intrepid runners as they tackle 69 miles through stunning Hadrian’s Wall Country. Starting at Carlisle Castle and culminating in a spectacular finish across Gateshead Millennium Bridge, this event has set the bar for Ultras from the outset. 1000 have already answered the call of the legion – we have 200 spaces left for 2014. Take on the 69 miles over one day or split it over two with full camping facilities at the half-way-point. This is the UK’s largest, most iconic and most “do-able” Ultra. Get entered – you’ve had 2000 years to train.

Looks like a mixture of road and trail and costs £165 even if you do it in one go. :shocked:

If that sounds iconic and do-able to you, you can enter here.

karl Jan 29th 2014

Can't see any BCRs doing this and what with such a high price tag, there are many other ultra's at a fraction of the cost.

Most notably was the two years I took part in the 24 hour track race at Tooting Bec athletics track.....the entry fee was the same (i think) as entering the London or Windermere marathons (about £30) and food etc was provided with all the runners well looked after.

Closer to home next year (20 and 21 June 15) the Lakeland trails are doing an ultra trail marathon, where you can choose either the 50km or 100km version, and entry fee shouldn't be much more than about £50 whichever event a runner does....one for most of us off-roaders to think about for next year?
Plenty of time to train up.
The 100km has a 24 hour time limit, but best of all daylight shouldn't be much of an issue to those who finish in 16 hours or so as that weekend is the longest one in terms of daylight hours. :tongue:

y rush Jan 29th 2014

I'm glad you are going to publicise races of longer than average on the forum - certainly this one has been in my thoughts for a couple of years now, I look forward to seeing more as and when they appear. Agreed it is expensive but when you take into account the logistics of organising such a large event for so many people and with so many contributory factors it's maybe justified.

Pat Jan 30th 2014

1000 people x 165 quid - reckon I could make a tidy profit out of that after costs

Will May 7th 2014

This from Gosforth:

Please find attached an entry form for this year’s Gosforth 10 road race on 11th June. I’d be grateful if you could forward this on to your club members. Online entry is also available via the Runners World website. We managed to raise £1400 from last years races, which was donated to local charities, and hope to raise a similar amount again this year.

y rush May 7th 2014

Thank you for popping this nice little race on the forum

Will Dec 18th 2014

The Ras Y Moelwin race in Blaenau Ffestiniog is in the 2015 British Champs, it says here. Entries are already open and 109 have registered. It sounds fun, and it’s quite early in the season:

Blaenau Ffestiniog Amateurs Football Club with the help of Antur Stiniog are once again busy organising the annual Ras y Moelwyn Three Peaks Race for the 34th year running, which will take place on Saturday, April 18th at 2.00p.m. Over the years the race has attracted runners from all over Britain, and from a wide age range, to participate in an event which many say is the most exciting, demanding and toughest in the Welsh Fell Runners Association calendar.

Enter at http://www.fabian4.co.uk/step1/ContactDetails.aspx?EventID=1132

Cyn llenwi â twrci Nadolig pam na wnewch chi gofrestru ar gyfer Ras Y Moelwyn heddiw!

Will Jan 7th 2015

Lorton 10k sounds nice if you like that kind of thing. Week after the Black Combe race:

Just thought I’d let you know about the Lorton 10K road race 21st March this year. I thought this would be a good leg stretch after winter road training! Just down the road from Cockermouth in the North lakes. A lovely 10K – not all flat! Around the Lorton valley surrounded by the fells.You can enter online at Run Britain or get in touch and I’ll send entry forms. Cheers, happy running, Sara Brown on behalf of Friends of Lorton school.

y rush Jan 7th 2015

i think you'll find the traditionalists will be trotting around the Coniston 14 that day - a real Lakeland classic and great prep for hilly races on road or fell, plus a good tester
before the London Marathon :bigsmile:

Mike H Jan 7th 2015

I don't think I would classify Gateshead Millenium Bridge as a 'spectacular finish'. I mean, there is a Greggs so maybe a 'pretty good finish', especially if you like baked bean and sausage pasties, but definitely not a 'spectacular finish'.

PhilClayton Jan 12th 2015

Hi all, I have entered Ilkley Moor Fell Race, this is a short race with some very technical descents, I normally do it every year although last year it clashed with Black Combe. Some of you may have done it as an English Champs a few years ago. I will have a couple of places to car share if anyone wants to enter, it is pre-entry though. A classic short, 22nd feb.

Will Jan 13th 2015

This one’s not exactly a race but I look around me at the supermen and women in Black Combe and think, at last. Here is your moment.

I hope you are well, sorry for the unsolicited email.

However I felt this may be something that would appeal to your competitors.

I work for the BBC and we are currently working on a new project called ‘World’s Toughest Army,’ a show providing the ultimate challenge. One would imagine that challenges are something that your competitors relish in.

Therefore, we’re looking for the toughest of the toughest people in the country to tackle some of the hardest military courses in the world. Our candidates will attempt a uniquely constructed programme based on real techniques used by Special Forces from around the world.

Is this something you feel you could help us inform you competitors about.

Maybe through the website, Facebook or twitter. However you see fit. Here is a link to our website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beonashow/worlds_toughest_army

Go on Pete. You know you want to.

Pete T Jan 13th 2015

How did you know Will, I was reading this thinking ooh er that looks like fun...

Will May 22nd 2015

Here’s a nice one from Sharon Dixon at Hoad Hill.

Just sending you this in case anyone would like to run, some of you did last year, this year the race is a little longer approx 5k. Prizes (mixed team of 3) and fancy dress and spot prizes followed by BBQ. Hope to see you there.

Sharon

The poster was a bit mangled but here’s the text:

GSK ULVERSTON
ORANGE UNITED RUN
THURSDAY 18TH JUNE

5.30pm for 6pm run
5km & (1 Mile run for kids)
Prizes Mixed team of 3 & Fancy dress
Spot prizes

GSK Sports field

contact sharon.x.dixon@gmail.com

FOLLOWED BY BBQ
There is no charge for the race but a recommended donation of £5 would be much appreciated

Will Jun 30th 2015

Here’s an interesting one. The Great British Relay is an attempt to run continuously around the coastline of mainland Britain. It will take about 31 days. The legs are between 10 and 20k long and they have a big gap around our bit of the Cumbrian coast.

This year it costs £25 to take a leg but apparently it’s a non-profit event, and the fee is split between as many runners as you like. Next year he says it will be free, but only if the success of this year’s event helps him to attract sponsors.

leg                                     date    time   distance
Stage 203  Seascale to Muncaster              FRI  17-Jul  08:45  11.5  UNCLAIMED
Stage 204  Muncaster to Bootle Station        FRI  17-Jul  09:54  12.5  UNCLAIMED
Stage 205  Bootle Station to Kirksanton       FRI  17-Jul  11:09  11.2  UNCLAIMED
Stage 206  Kirksanton to Green Road Station   FRI  17-Jul  12:16  10.8  UNCLAIMED
Stage 207  Green Road Station to Grizebeck    FRI  17-Jul  13:21  12    UNCLAIMED
Stage 208  Grizebeck to Ireleth               FRI  17-Jul  14:33  10    UNCLAIMED
Stage 209  Ireleth to Barrow-in-Furness       FRI  17-Jul  15:33  10    UNCLAIMED
Stage 210  Barrow-in-Furness to Newbiggin     FRI  17-Jul  16:33  11.3  UNCLAIMED
Stage 211  Newbiggin to Ulverston             FRI  17-Jul  17:40  11    UNCLAIMED
Stage 212  Ulverston to Flookburgh            FRI  17-Jul  18:46  18.6  UNCLAIMED

There’s another gap on the Solway coast but otherwise it looks quite popular. We’ll be away or I’d have quite liked to do the Newbiggin one. If anyone else fancies it you can get more information at www.gbrelay.com

Will Jun 30th 2015

ps. the tide will be right out for leg 212.

Will Jan 19th 2016

Penny would have wanted me to pass this on:

The Beautiful Marathon entries now open

Complete a lap of England’s largest lake, surrounded by stunning Lake District scenery, ending with an inspirational finish line experience.

Limited one-off anniversary bling for all runners & a special Lake District goody bag!

A carnival atmosphere overlooking Windermere

Take part in an awesome event with fantastic organisation, stunning scenery and a medal that’s simply gorgeous.

The breath-taking views and finish line experience are the best anywhere. There’s always an uplifting atmosphere & seeing the 10in10ers complete their final lap is utterly humbling.

This marathon is truly beautiful, with a carnival atmosphere finishing on the lawn of Brathay Hall, overlooking England’s largest lake.

You can enter here. For those who need slightly less humbling there is also a new half marathon that stays on the Hawkshead side.

Will Jan 31st 2016

Nice letter from Todmorden Rotary Club, might be of interest to anyone planning a long run this year:

For around 40 years now we have been organising the Todmorden Boundary Walk. The walk follows the original town boundary and is 22 miles in length, It uses parts of the Calderdale Way and Pennine Way and as we live in a very steep sided valley has three signicant climbs.

Increasingly over recent years people have been “running it” and it has been suggested many times we should advertise it as a training run, so this year we are!

The route is waymarked with fluorescent yellow flags and with Marshals, First Aid support is provided by Calder Valley Search & Rescue who also “sweep” the course. Water & snacks are provided at a couple of points along the way and we have showers in the clubhouse at the finish.

Our main beneficiary charity this year in their 50th year is Calder Valley Search and Rescue.

Entry forms and details can be found on our website www.todrotary.org

We are also able to offer a discount for multiple entries from clubs such as yours and for details or for any questions you may have about our event please give me a call.

Will Aug 2nd 2016

A new hilly road race for you:

Hi there

I hope you don’t mind me emailing you but I am trying to promote our new event ‘Heart of Eden Half Marathon’ which is organised by Appleby Rotary Club.

The race is a very scenic road race but quite challenging so I imagine some of your senior club runners might be interested. Entry is available online via Run Britain and our club website link is: https://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/page.php?PgID=587953&ClubID=1129

I should also say that the event is to raise money for Appleby Rotary charities and is not for profit! I have also attached our poster so if you are able to use this at all, please feel free.

I do hope you are able to support us this year and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.

With kind regards.

Jane Oakley

Will Oct 10th 2016

Good luck catching Lord Harvey on this one:

Greetings from the Cartmel peninsula!

We’re hosting a new mixed terrain race at the end of the month, the ‘Allithwaite 8’ , and I would be grateful if you can let members of Black Combe Runners know.

A few details for you to pass on.

A multi-terrain running race over Hamspfell and the Cartmel peninsula. A shade over 8 miles (13km) in length, with around 950 ft/290m ascent. Starting at the Community Centre, Allithwaite. (Post code LA11 7QJ). A marshalled and waymarked race on road and over fell. Off -road shoes recommended. Hat/Gloves and full body cover needed (Kit requirements will be confirmed at race registration 9.30 – 10.30 am). Age limit 16+ on race day.

Entry online via SI entries: www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=3044 or email allithwaiterunningclub@gmail.com

Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/allithwaiterunningclub/

Many Thanks,

John Douglas

The race is on Saturday 29th October.

Will Apr 17th 2017

From Cumberland Athletic:

Please find attached our entry form for the Whitehaven Harbourside 5K. I should be very grateful if you would circulate this amongst your members and look forward to welcoming them to our evening event.