control panel show

Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Feeds

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

V12 Jun 1st 2013

I am doing a cheeky paddy Buckley next weekend. Can anyone help with pacing, or know anyone who can help?
Call 07807 926787

Mike v :cry:

Pete T Jun 1st 2013

Mike - try posting on the fell runner forum as well.

V12 Jun 2nd 2013

Will do, Pete.

richard w Jun 2nd 2013

Mike, have you tried anyone from Eryri Harriers? I think Anna knows Sarah Ridgeway. Maybe her or Iain (Sarah's husband) could help out or they might be able to put you in contact with someone who could? I am tied up next weekend so unavailable to assist I'm afraid.

Pete T Jun 9th 2013

I was really pleased to be woken at 2:30 am (India time) with the news that Mike got round in 23 1/2 hours on a really hot day - what a fantastic effort, well done Mike (and his supporters). Can't wait to hear the full story.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

V12 Jun 10th 2013

It has been done, the Paddy Buckley Round completed...but there was no way of doing it without the stirling support of my road crew - the utterly amazing Hazel Tayler and excellent Mike McIver, and my tip-top pacers including Mike (turbo) Jones, Anna Lupton and Commander Baron. Given that it's Maurice Sendak's 85th birthday, the following summarises how the 'day' went from my perspective as attemptee:

I've just woken up from this really weird dream. It went something like this..."the night mike wore his running gear and made mischief of one kind or another, his wife called him wild thing and mike said "I'll eat you up!" and he was sent away without anything to eat. That night in mike’s head a mountain range grew, and grew - and grew until there was this brilliant blue sky and mountains all around. And mike ran off through night and day. It felt like he was running in and out of weeks and almost over a year, to where the wild things are...and when he came to the place where the wild things are they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and filled his rucsac with gels and treats. Each time he met them they'd say "you have ten minutes" and the rumpus would begin again. But then the rumpus through the mountains came to an end as the orange sun began to sink behind the hazy hills."Now stop!" Mike said and sent the wild things off to find food. Mike was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all. Then all around from far away across the world he smelled good things to eat. And Mike began to run again, over a year and in and out of the weeks and through where he found fish and chips waiting for him...and they were still hot".

My one enduring memory of the weekend was the sunset as we came down Llanberis Pass on Saturday evening/night. And of all the events, sites and memories of the weekend, it's the one every pacer, supporter and attemptee shared simultaneously and seemed a fitting metaphor to a bloody good jaunt out with your mates...let the rumpus start.:bigsmile:

Sue Jun 10th 2013

Did you forget your sun hat mike?

Well done, sounds like you all had a good day out.

:cool:

V12 Jun 11th 2013

Hi all,

If people are interested in stats and that sort of thing, my round was the 111th successful completion and 93rd under 24 hours in 30 years since Wendy Dodds first made her circuit in 1983. It's humbling to see the speed with which some folk have dashed round the round, though, and serves welcomingly as a good ego-winding punch:

Mark Hartell and Chris Near with 18 hours and 10 minutes

Tim Higginbottom - 17 hours and 42 minutes

I'll endeavour to write a report for the newsie which I can also send to Paddy Buckley himself, as he's requested something of that sort.